John S. Norris 1804 – 1876
Source: New Georgia Encyclopedia.
While working on the custom house in Wilmington, Norris received the commission to design the Savannah Custom House (1848–52), an austere Greek revival style building with a monumental portico. His work on the Custom House led to other commissions in Savannah. He designed the Andrew Low House (1849), the Massie School Building (1855; later the Massie Heritage Center); and the massive Abrahams Home for Indigent Females (1858), located at the corner of Broughton and East Broad Street. Norris designed his best-known house for Charles Green in the Gothic revival style. The Green-Meldrim House (1853), which is among the earliest Gothic revival houses in the state, is distinguished by its cast-iron porch and oriel windows.