From Scotland to Scouts
The Andrew Low House was John Norris’ first residential work in Savannah …. and what a remarkable example it would become in promoting Norris’ designs which so prominently influence the flavor of Savannah’s Historic District. This first endeavor was made possible by a successful young Scotsman, Andrew Low, who arrived in Savannah in 1829 at age seventeen. Here he would begin his rags to riches story as he proceeded to make his fortune as a cotton factor.
In 1848 he commissioned John Norris to design this stylish mansion for his young family where, through the years many of his distinguished friends visited. Among them were Gen. Robert E. Lee and James Makepeace Thackery who called Andrew a “great man” and described Low’s home as the most “comfortable accommodations in America”..
The House became even widely known with Juliette Gordon’s addition to the Low family as the wife of Andrew’s son, William Mackay Low.
Juliette Gordon Low founded The Girl Scouts of America in this house in 1912 and used the carriage house as its headquarters.
The carriage house remains a Girl Scout museum to this day. Juliette inherited the Andrew Low House upon her husband’s death in 1905. She died there in 1927. After Juliette’s death the house was leased for many years and as such was also the home of the famous poet and author, Ogden Nash.
Ultimately it was purchased by The National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in the State of Georgia (Juliette’s mother, Nellie Kinzie Gordon, was a founding member). After many years of careful restoration it was opened to the public as a museum house in the early 1950’s…..
Both the Carriage House and The Andrew Low House are listed on The National Register of Historic Places.
For more information please visit: www.andrewlowhouse.com